Thursday, February 28, 2008

Gentrification Part 1


Tomorrow, Harlem's Record Shack will have a court date to try to fight off eviction (after being a tenant for over 35 years at its current location). The Record Shack family is requesting that members of the community come out and support them as they wage this battle.

The information is as follows:
Friday, February 29, 2008
111 Centre Street
Room 1166 11th Floor Part 52
Time: 9:30 AM

It's time for us to band together to do what is right, and to support each other. Remember Martin Niemoler's famous quote: "First they came for the Jews. I was silent. I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists. I was silent. I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists. I was silent. I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me. There was no one left to speak for me."

Even if you are unable to come down tomorrow, PLEASE let's all do our small part to save our community. There's so much to be done, any little contribution of your time and brain power will help immensely. Let's be creative and diligent in our efforts- however we choose to assist those in need.

Lots of love to everybody, always!

Sincerely,
Elsie Law

SIDEBAR: The Legal Eagles Community Newsletter Gentrification issue is coming as soon as possible.

No comments: