Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cops Gone Wild Part 8: The Repercussions For A Whistle Blower Edition

A Harlem resident who recently complained after observing police officers patrolling his neighborhood with the head of a Black doll attached to their car antennae, is allegedly being targeted by the NYPD. The Harlemite was arrested and slapped with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest charges. The police claim that they issued the charges after the Harlemite drove off to avert a summons that they were attempting to give him for parking at a bus stop. The New York native refutes the NYPD's rendering of events, stating: "I got out my car, they told me to put my hands on the car. They grabbed my arm and they put the cuff on all the way until it could go no more, twisted my arms around my back and started to proceed to slam me on the car."

Many community members feel that the young man is being targeted because he blew the whistle on police officers who were patrolling his neighborhood in a blatantly disrespectful manner. State Senator Bill Perkins concurs with this assessment. According to NY1, Senator Perkins said the following: "We were concerned, and he expressed concern, that because he came forward, he would retaliated against. So this arrest obviously comes off as a retaliatory arrest to obviously punish him for the heroic deed that he did."

As of now, the NYPD is implementing their trusty strategy of "deny, deny, deny." They deny being aware of the Harlemite's identity at the time of the arrest.

[CLICK HERE for the related story: "Cops Gone Wild Part 6: The 'I Didn't Know A Decapitated Doll's Head Was Attached To My Antennae' Edition"

No comments: